Combined Defence Services
Terms: IMA Dehradun
Indian Military Academy, Dehradun
Before joining the Academy, a candidate has to agree in writing that:
- The candidate is not entitled to any compensation for injuries suffered in the training process or for any complications (such as deformity) or even death caused during the treatment for any injuries.
- If the candidate is dismissed, discharged or withdrawn from the commission because of his actions he will be liable to refund the whole or such portion of the cost of tuition, food, clothing and pay & allowances, received.
Cost of Training
- The Government pays for the cost of training including accommodations, books, uniforms, boarding and medical treatment.
- Candidates are expected to meet their pocket expenses themselves.
- Financial assistance may be granted by the Government for students from lower income families.
- To receive the financial assistance, income of candidate's parent/guardian should not exceed Rs. 1500/- per month (Rs. 2000/- per month if more than one son/ward simultaneously undergoing training at NDA, IMA, OTA and corresponding training establishment in the Navy and Air Force)
- Application for financial assistance should be submitted (after the final selection) through the District Magistrate of his District who will forward the Application with his recommendation to the Commandant, Officer's Training Academy, Chennai.
- Monetary Deposit: Candidates finally selected for training at the Academy will be required to deposit the following amount on arrival:
Pocket allowance for five months at Rs. 200.00 p.m
For items of clothing and equipment
- Refundable Amount:
- For candidates receiving financial aid, the deposit for pocket allowance is refunded.
- The unexpended portion of the outfit allowance will be handed over to the cadet on his being granted a commission or refunded to the State, if he is not granted a commission.
- Once a commission is granted, articles of clothing and necessaries purchased from this allowance become the personal property of the cadet. Cadets who resign while under training or who are removed or withdrawn prior to commissioning will have to return the items.
Parshuram Bhau Patwardan Scholarship
● This scholarship is awarded to cadets from Maharashtra and Karnataka.
● Value of scholarship: 500.00 per annum
● Duration of scholarship: Cadet's entire stay at the Indian Military Academy.
● It is subject to the cadet's making satisfactory progress.
● The cadets who are granted this scholarship will not be entitled to any other financial assistance from the Government.
Colonel Kendal Frank Memorial Scholarship
● This scholarship is awarded to Maratha cadets who should be the son of an ex-servicemen.
● Value of scholarship: 360.00 per annum.
● The Scholarship is in addition to any financial assistance from the Government.
- Candidates finally selected undergo a course of training for about 18 months.
- Gentlemen cadets are dealt with the ordinary disciplinary purposes under the rules and regulations of the Indian Military Academy, Dehradun.
- No candidate are normally permitted to resign while they are under training. However, Gentlemen Cadet resigning after the commencement of training may be allowed to proceed home if their resignation is accepted by Army HQ.
- A Gentlemen/lady Cadet who is not considered suitable to complete the full course of training may be discharged with permission of the Government.
- Commission will be granted only on successful completion of training. The date of commission will be that following the date of successful completion of training. Commission will be permanent.
- On successful completion of training Gentlemen Cadets are granted Permanent Commission in the rank of Lt. subject to being medically fit, in shape.
Posting and Promotion
Posting: Army officers are liable to serve any where in India and abroad.
Substantive promotions: The following are the service limits for the grant of the substantive promotion to higher ranks
By time scale
Lieutenant - on completion of training
Captain - 2 years of reckonable commissioned service
Major - 6 years of reckonable commissioned service
Lieutenant Colonel - 13 years of reckonable commissioned service
Colonel (TS) - 26 years of reckonable commissioned service
Colonel - 20 years of reckonable commissioned service
Brigadier - 23 years of reckonable commissioned service
Major General - 25 years of reckonable commissioned service
Lieutenant Genral - 28 years of reckonable commissioned service
General - No restrictions
Acting promotion: Officers are eligible for acting promotion to higher ranks on completion of the following minimum Service limits subject to availability of vacancies :
Captain - 3 years
Major - 6 years
Lt. Colonel - 6 1/2 years
Colonel - 8 1/2 years
Brigadier - 12 years
Major General - 20 years
Lt. Gen. - 25 years.
All you need to know about