Junior Engineer (Civil & Elect) Examination
Scheme of Examination
The Examination will be conducted in two stages:
- Written Test (500 marks)
- Interview (100 marks)
Paper-I Objective type (OMR Answer Sheets will be provided for this Paper)
General Intelligence & Reasoning
Part –A General Engineering (Civil & Structural)
Paper-II Conventional Type
Part –A General Engineering (Civil & Structural)
Part – B General Engineering (Electrical)
Part-C General Engineering (Mechanical)
- In Paper-I and Paper-II for General Engineering, the candidate can attempt any one part i.e. Part-A or Part-B or Part-C.
- Candidates are allowed to bring their own Slide–Rule, Non Programmable Calculator, Logarithm Tables and Steam Table for Paper-II only. They are not allowed for Paper-I.
- Candidates qualifying in Paper I only those will be evaluated Paper II.
- Mobile Phone or any other electronic / electrical device other than specified Calculator is not permitted.
- There will be negative marking of 0.25 marks for each wrong answer in Paper-I.
- Candidates, who secure at least the minimum qualifying marks in the written examination, are eligible to appear for Interview. The interview will be held at places as may be decided by the Commission.
- SC/ST candidates called for interview will be paid TA as per Government Orders. However no TA is payable to any candidate for appearing in the written examination.
- Canvassing in any form will disqualify the candidate.
Personality Test (Interview): 100 Marks
Questions in Engineering subjects will be approximately of the level of Diploma in Engineering (Civil, Electrical, Mechanical etc) from a recognized Institute, Board or University and recognized by All India Board of Technical Education.
- All the questions will be set in SI units.
- The details of the syllabus are given below.
PAPER I – Part I (General Intelligence & Reasoning):
The Syllabus for General Intelligence would include questions of both verbal and non-verbal type, it includes questions on:
- Space visualization
- Problem solving
- Decision making
- Visual memory
- Relationship concepts
- Arithmetical reasoning
- Verbal and figure classification
- Arithmetical number series.
The test will also include questions designed to test the candidate’s abilities to deal with abstract ideas and symbols and their relationships, arithmetical computations and other analytical functions.
PAPER II – Part II (General Awareness):
Questions will be aimed at testing the candidate's general awareness of the environment around him/her and its application to society. Questions will be designed to test knowledge of current events and of such matters of everyday observations and experience in their scientific aspect as may be expected of any educated person. The test will also include questions relating to India and neighbouring countries especially pertaining to:
- Economic Scene
- General Polity
- Scientific Research.
PAPER II, PAPER I – Part III (General Engineering):
A. Civil Engineering
- Physical and Chemical properties
- Standard tests
- Uses and manufacture/quarrying of materials e.g. building stones, silicate based materials, cement (Portland), Asbestos products, Timber and Wood based Products, laminates, bituminous materials, paints, varnishes.
- Principles of surveying
- Working of prismatic compass and bearings
- Plane table surveying
- Theodolite traverse
- Adjustment of theodolite
- Levelling and contouring
- Refraction correction
- Permanent adjustment of dumpy level
- Methods of contouring and uses of a contour map
- Tachometric survey.
- Origin of soil phase diagram
- Of void ratio porosity
- Degree of saturation
- Water content specific gravity of soil grains and unit weights
- Grain size distribution curves for different solid and their uses
- Atterjerg's limits isi soil classification
- Plasticity chart
- Coefficient of permeability
- Effective stress
- Consolidation of soils.
- Calculation shear strength of soils
- Direct shear test
- Vane shear test
- Triaxial test
- Soil compaction
- Lab compaction
- Lab compaction test
- Moisture content and bearing capacity of soils
- Plate load test
- Standard penetration test.
- Fluid properties
- Measurements of flow
- Bernoulli's theorem and its application
- Floor through pipes
- Flow in open channels
- Pumps and turbines.
- Quality of water
- Source of water supply
- Purification of water
- Distribution of water
- Need of sanitation
- Sewerage systems
- Circular sewers
- Oval sewer
- Sewer appurtenances
- Surface water drainage sewage treatments.
B. Electrical Engineering
Basic Electrical Engg. And Electt. Measurements:
- Concepts of currents
- Power and energy
- Their units
- Ohm's law.
- Circuit Law: Kirchhoff’s law
- Solution of simple network problems
- Network theorems and their applications
- Electro-magnetism concept of flux
- Magnetic circuits
- Electro-magnetic induction
- Self and mutual inductance.
- A.C. fundamentals
- R.m.s. And average values of alternating waves
- Equation of sinusoidal wave form
- Simple series and parallel a.c. Circuits consisting of R.L. and C. Resonance
- Measurement and measuring instruments
- Moving coil and moving iron ammeters and voltmeters
- Extension of range
- Watt meters
- Basic Electronics.
- Basic principles D
- C motors of generators
- Their characteristics
- Speed control and starting of D.C. motors
- Losses and efficiency of D.C. machines.
1-phase and 3-phase Transformers:
- Principles Of Operation
- Equivalent Circuit
- Voltage Regulation O.C. And S.C. Tests
- Auto Transformers
- Synchronous Machines
- Generation Of Three Phase Emf
- Armature Reaction
- Voltage Regulation
- Parallel Operation Of Two Alternators
- Staring And Applications Of Synchronous Motors
- 3-Phase Induction Motor
- Rotating Magnetic Field
- Principle Of Operation
- Equivalent Circuit
- Torque Speed Characteristics
- Starting And Speed Control Of 3-Phase Induction Motors
- Fractional Kw Motors
- 1-Phase Induction Motors A.C. Series Motor
- Reluctance Motor.
General, Transmission and Distribution:
- Different types of power stations
- Load factor
- Diversity factor
- Demand factor
- Simple problems thereon
- Cost of generation inter connection of power stations
- Power factor improvement
- Various types of tariffs
- Types of faults
- Short circuit current for symmetrical faults
- Switchgears-rating of circuit breakers:
- Principles of a are extinction by oil and air
- H.R.C. fuses
- Protection earthier leakage
- Over current Buchhotgz relay
- Merz-Prince system of protection of generators & transformers
- Protection of feeders and bus bars.
- Lightning arresters
- Various transmission and distribution systems
- Comparison of conductor materials
- Efficiency for different systems.
Utilization of Electrical Energy:
- Electric heating
- Electric welding
- Electric drivers and motors.
C. Mechanical Engineering
Flow of Fluids:
- Laminar & turbulent flow
- Equation of continuity
- Bernoulli's theorem
- Measurement of discharge
- Flow through pipes
- Friction losses
- Forces of jet impinging on vanes
- Work done and efficiency
- Classification of turbines & pumps.
- Laws of thermodynamics
- Change in entropy in various processes
- Properties of steam
- Uses of steam table & charts
- Construction and Working of Cochran
- Lancashire Locomotive and Babcock and Wilcox boilers
- Working of steam turbine
- Otto and Diesel Cycles
- Working of IC engines
- Solex Carburettor.
Diesel fuel pump & injector:
Cooling & lubrication.
- Foundry-Different casting processes
- Concept of patterns
- Types of mould making
- Puring defect in castings
- Causes & remedies
- Welding-classification and types of welding
- Testing and defects in welds
- Lathes-working of lathe:
- Various tools
- Operation on lathes
- Types of lathes
- Drilling operations performed on drilling machines
- Principles of working and various operations on machine tools milling machine
- Boring and slotting machines.
Strength of Materials:
- Stresses in composite bars
- Relation between elastic constants
- Resilience under different types of loads
- SF and BM diagrams
- Stresses in bearns-combined direct and bending stresses
- Struts and columns - Euler's and Rankin's theories
- Torsion of circular shafts.
Theory of Machines:
- Simple Mechanisms - Four bar chain
- Slider crank chain
- Double slider crank chain
- Flywheel - Turning moment diagrams
- Fluctuation of energy
- Friction-in collar and pivots
- Plate clutch
- Conical clutch
- Journal bearing
- Transmission of power through flat and V- belts
- Gears, profile of gears
- Governors-Watt and Hartnell governors.
D. Structural Engineering
Theory of structures:
- Elasticity constants
- Types of beams
- Determinate and indeterminate
- Bending moment and shear force diagrams of simply supported
- Cantilever and over hanging beams
- Moment of area and moment of inertia for rect. & circular section
- Bending moment and shear stress for tee
- Channel and compound sections
- Dams and retaining walls
- Eccentric loads
- Slope deflection of simply supported and cantilever beams
- Critical load and columns
- Torsion of circular section.
- Advantages and uses of concrete
- Cement aggregates
- Importance of water quality
- Water cement ratio
- Mix design
- Finishing and curing of concrete
- Quality control of concrete
- Hot weather and cold weather concreting
- Repair and maintenance of concrete structure.
- RCC beams:
- Flexural strength
- Shear strength
- Bond strength
- Design of single reinforced beams
- Cantilever beams
- Double reinforced beams
- One way slabs
- Two way slabs
- Isolated footings
- Reinforced brick work
- Retaining walls water tanks (RCC design questions may be based on both Limit State method and Working Stress method).
- Steel design and construction of steel columns
Beams roof trusses plate girders
All you need to know about